Reporting directly to the CTO, you’ll be a key member of our growing operations team. You will work closely with our operations team to help build and optimize our application environment. You will evaluate, select and implement new technologies to help HubTran scale.
At Hubtran, you will join a team that:
- Has experience. The majority of our developers have more than 10 years of professional experience. One has published a book with the Pragmatic Programmers.
- Has won the Chicago Innovation Award and Harvard Business School New Venture Contest.
- Is remote friendly. We care about what you can accomplish, not where you choose to accomplish it from.
- Believes diversity is essential and strongly encourages applications from women and minority candidates.
- Can articulate their values. You can read about our values at https://engineering.hubtran.com/2017/06/01/welcome-to-the-new-hubtran-blog.
- Pays well.
- Offers benefits including health insurance, 4 weeks of vacation, 401k, stock options, and more.
Our environment is Linux based and hosted on AWS and Digital Ocean. We are moving to autoscaling using Docker and Kubernetes. Other technologies used include Consul, Terraform, Nomad, Chef, Ansible, Postgres, Ruby/Rails, Redis and more. While these are the tools we’re currently using, you don’t need to have previous experience with them. We know that good engineers are capable of quickly picking up new languages and tools.
In order to succeed in this role you should be:
- Experienced. You have managed an entire environment, not just a single server.
- Curious. You aren’t content with the status quo and know that we can always improve.
- Self-directed. You can work on your own while prioritizing tasks.
- Collaborative. You can work with others to improve a solution.
- Detail Oriented. Measure twice and cut once, only via code.
- Empathetic. You think about how your decisions will impact others on the team.
- A strong communicator. You will proactively communicate issues and trade-offs with team members to support alignment and fast decision making.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with AWS, Digital Ocean, Docker, Kubernetes, Postgresql and Rails.
- Experience with configuration management in Chef or Ansible.
- Being in Chicago or Cincinnati.